At Angle House, we are proud to offer NHS funded orthodontic treatment, and to have provided this service to our London communities since 1988. To receive NHS funded orthodontic treatment, patients must be under the age of 18 and meet the NHS eligibility criteria.
To learn more, choose a section from the adjacent table of contents.
Table of contents:
Is my child eligible for NHS funded orthodontic treatment?
In 2006, the NHS introduced new guidelines for the provision of orthodontic treatment which included eligibility criteria. The system is designed to prioritise treatment to those with the greatest need.
As the funding for NHS orthodontic treatment is capped there is often a lengthy waiting list for treatment.
We usually recommend having an orthodontic assessment between the ages of 8-10 years in case early intervention is required. NHS funded treatment is only available to children under the age of 18.
How to access the NHS care
- Get a referral for your child from your general dentist. Make sure your dentist has your up-to-date information such as your address, telephone number and email address.
- Once we receive the referral, you will receive a Welcome to Angle House email stating the name of the practice you’ve been referred to and additional information regarding your child’s referral. Please make sure you check your junk mail as well.
- Our treatment waiting list varies depending on the practice you’ve been referred to. You’ll receive a text message and/or an email with an appointment for your child’s assessment.
- If you have any questions regarding your child’s referral, simply reply to the Welcome to Angle House email you’ll receive, and a member of our team will be in touch.
- During your child’s assessment, your Specialist Orthodontist will complete a full comprehensive examination of how your child’s teeth and jaw are forming. We will take x-rays, 3D scans and photographs. The Specialist Orthodontist will evaluate your child’s eligibility for treatment under the NHS and review all treatment options suitable for them.
What other options do I have?
As NHS funded orthodontic treatment is only available to children that meet the eligibility criteria, and even then, fixed metal braces are the only option with the NHS, you may opt for one of our alternative private treatments.
Orthodontic treatment using more discree appliances, such as Invisalign® clear aligners, Spark clear aligners or tooth coloured fixed braces, are available as a self-funded treatment option. A huge benefit here is that your child skips the waiting list and can proceed with the chosen treatment as soon as possible.