Orthodontic Home Instructions & Recommendations
In order to get the beautiful smile that you’ve been dreaming of, you need to take good care of your braces. In the 6-8 weeks between appointments, it is your job to make sure your treatment goes as smoothly as possible. We’ve made it easy with this helpful and handy guide.
Use and care guide for your Invisalign clear aligner
Brushing technique and disclosing tablets
What can I eat & avoid with braces
How to deal with braces discomfort
Why are retainers so important?
After Care Instructions
Protect Your Smile | Wear A Mouth Guard
Keeping your teeth clean during your treatment
Ensuring your teeth, and your braces, are clean during your treatment is paramount. Keeping your teeth and braces clean avoids decay, decalcification, bad breath and gum disease during the treatment process. To ensure you don’t experience these problems, here are some handy tips:
1. Brush your teeth at least twice a day with fluoride toothpaste and an appropriate toothbrush.
2. Rinse your mouth after brushing with a mouthwash containing fluoride.
3. Continue to floss during your treatment – we will show you how to floss with braces.
4. If you have removable braces or aligners, keep them clean using appropriate oral hygiene aids.
A specialist endodontist is trained to treat these problems and, in many instances, can relieve discomfort at the root of the problem.
What to eat with braces
Braces shouldn’t limit your diet too much, but here are some helpful guidelines of foods to avoid:
1. Hard or sticky foods such as toffees, boiled sweets, chewing gum, crusts, etc.
2. Drinks with high sugar content such as juices, fizzy drinks, energy drinks and sports drinks.
3. Biting into hard foods such as crisps, apples, carrots, etc – try to cut foods rather than biting into them with your front teeth.
When you have your braces fitted your Specialist Orthodontist will thoroughly discuss how to care for your braces, but if you still have questions that aren’t answered here, our friendly customer service team is just one phone call away to discuss anything you need to know.